The BNSF Railway (reporting mark BNSF), formerly known as the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, is an American freight railroad company headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas; it is one of four remaining transcontinental railroads and one of the largest freight railroad networks in North America. Only the Union Pacific Railroad, its primary competitor for Western U.S. freight, is larger in size. The BNSF Railway moves more intermodal freight traffic than any other rail system in the world.
Campaign Finance$294,700 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying On Behalf of BNSF Railway
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount K&L Gates $180,000 Glover Park Group $130,000 Quinn Gillespie & Assoc $120,000 Madison Services Group $90,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Homeland Security,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "BNSF Railway" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
- Toggle 11 FRA Emergency Relief Docket for Calendar Year 2011 2011
- Toggle 2 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Waiver Petition 2011
- Toggle 1 STB Acquisition and Operation Exemptions: Rocky Mountain Railcar and Repair, Inc. Line of Railroad in Tooele County, UT 2011
- Toggle 1 FRA U.S. DOT/FRA - Use of Certain Railroad Risk Reduction Information in Litigation 2011
- Toggle 1 FMCSA Unified Carrier Registration Plan Board of Directors; Request for Nomination 2011
- Toggle 1 FAA Pinnacle Airlines, Inc. - Exemption/Rulemaking 2011
- Toggle 1 STB Discontinuances of Service Exemptions: Minnesota Commercial Railway Co., Washington County, MN 2011
- Toggle 1 NHTSA Notice for Reports, Forms, and Record Keeping Requirements 2011
- Toggle 1 STB Temporary Trackage Rights Exemptions: Union Pacific Railroad Co.; BNSF Railway Co. 2011
- Toggle 1 STB Abandonment Exemptions: Union Pacific Railroad Co., Lafayette County, Mo. 2011
Advisory Committees6 people on 4 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "BNSF Railway" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Surface Transportation Board 5 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee